Notices
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is nvidia shield the best?

The Nvidia Shield TV is hands down the best device for running Kodi. Spec wise it is one of the most powerful android boxes available. But that comes at a price ($199 for 16gb). It is designed for gaming which is why the specs are so good (and Kodi benefits from). However, its main drawback (and only you can say if it is a drawback to you) is that it is running Android TV, not pure Android. What this means is, while any android app can be sideloaded and will work, it may not work with the remote or game controller. Apps available thru Google Play on the Shield are updated/modified to work with the remote. If you sideload many apps you will need an air mouse to use them. This is no different with the Fire TV and sideloading apps on it. If cost is not much of an issue, I definitely recommend Nvidia Shield TV. If you are an Amazon Prime customer, a Fire TV is just as good and half the cost (I have 4 all running Kodi with no issues). If not a prime customer and not put off by Android TV, the Nexus Player is also a great option and can be had for somewhere between $50-$70.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chinbone For This Useful Post:

tam23 (07-06-2016)

Yes it is true that not all sideloaded apps work on the Shield TV, or AFTV, but for me, there are enough remote optimized apps to make the Shield TV or AFTV better than any of the other Android TV boxes that don't support a remote control. I am sure that more remote capable Android apps will be released. I do wish there was a Dish Network, Xfinity, and DirecTV app that supported a remote control, instead of having to use a mouse/keyboard, but the workaround to that is use an app on my phone called Wukong remote, which turns my phone into a mouse for the apps that require a touch screen.
    Last edited by arb2261977; 02-08-2016 at 09:37 PM.

I live in Newfoundland,Canada.Help me get one please.

Im also a Newbie,

I am using the fire stick now, and am a prime member but do not watch many movies through prime. My biggest problem is the lag time, buffering an at times jittery picture on the fire stick. I have never played a game through these units though may be open to the thought, I play on a ps4 though. I got my cable speed bumped up to 30 mps and run a night hawk router wifi so I think the lag, buffering and jitters are due to the Amazon's somehow. I don't mind spending the money just want a top shelf experience.

Hey Jhobdy have you gotten any decent vpn s working on your shield ?

alas I must report that their is problems I have the full shield alas returning it, gamestream keeps breaking down between shield and PC we have tried everything possible but nvidia blames Kerspasky and advises removing it totally so one can use the gamestream, alas my anti v and internet protector will not be removed its like leaving your front door and back door open have tried every fix alas it just keeps shutting off the connection. anyhow if you are NOT for gamestreaming to your PC its a fantastic box cannot fault it nice resolution

There are ways to tell your protection programs to allow the shield through I have no problems with mine at all

The shield is the best. It will be some time before any other android box catches up.

If you want the best it is the Nvidia Shield TV hands down

i have the shield tv and although its the best its still a compromise.
    only because of the cut down playstore access.
    i only use it for kodi and old school emulators.
    when i got my first one when they came out in the uk,i thought i had nothing better to do than sign into my google account and port all my apps over like i done on my shield portable and tablet.How wrong i was!
    actually sold my initial one as i was that annoyed with that,went on at length on the old forum.
    i have one again now as like everyone says it runs kodi like a dream.just felt they could have opened it up a bit more via the locked down playstore.
    anyway,just my opinion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast