Notices

Thread: MXQ box

1. #1 MXQ box 
    So I bought an MXQ from a popular internet auction site so I could put Kodi on it and use it as a secondary box.

When it came - it worked fine (wifi, remote etc.) as an android box with Kodi installed. Me being me decided after reading a few pages, that I wanted OpenELEC on it (I run this on my Wetek), so downloaded the right version and installed it.

Word of advice here: Not ALL Micro SD cards are good to use - I found an 8GB Toshiba card wouldn't work, whereas my 32GB SanDisk is great...

What I found though, was (as everyone said regarding the build of OpenELEC), the wifi got an IP address, but wasn't working at all. After fiddling around, I decided to put the original firmware back on and run Kodi from there.

Now I was astute enough to locate the original firmware (in 4 different versions too!) before messing with OpenELEC, so I had everything to hand.

However, I've not managed to locate and install a firmware that makes the wifi and remote both work - generally the remote will, but wifi is SNAFUd

So, where possible, if you're a meddler like me - install an recovery first and BACKUP!

I'm off to work shortly, but will add all the box details here later

Thanks. I've been looking for alternative builds for my MXQ that might fix some of the stock firmware problems, but everything I've read makes me think it's too much of a risk to experiment. None of the problems of the stock firmware are critical, and a lot of people seem to have bricked their units with firmware experiments. Nobody reports a great deal of success in fixing problems. For the time being I'll stick with what I have. But always interested in new alternatives.

If it is not completely broken don't fix it Kodi can be easier replace in android to the newer stuff.

Hi,new here.I use a RPi2&3 and use kodi on jessie and osmc. What's wrong with kodi on mxq? uninstall and get latest from playstore.
    What's with openelec? It's only kodi v15.xx on rpi .

5. #5 Video Recording from MXQ and other Boxes 
    Something you may not imagine...
    Trying to record whatever is on Kodi basicaly from dhe AV plug after couple hours of intens work on the MXQ box as well as other boxes we found a chinese tech problem. The plug length should be 3 mm shorter. This means that in our standard plug we must attach e plastic 3 mm spacer
    There is not a Multiisystem problem but just a malmanifacturing from those Chinese technologies.. This modification gives you a beautififul Whatever have in your TV reception through this kind of boxes.
    Best Regards from Us in Atllantic west coast
    Last edited by raketa65; 04-24-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: adding something

I would have agreed with the tone of this thread until I discovered the MXq thread on freaktab for the openelec versions that can be installed. It has moved on a bit now as the developer in question has 'jumped" to libreelec. The builds are fantastic and you can run them from Sd, leaving android intact. if you get a problem, remove the Sd and reboot to android.The developer adds updates from Amlogic, Koying ( if you're on android and don't know the name - shame on) and all the big names in development front. He is also the most receptive person I've come across for trying to help if you have a problem.

As for remotes not working, the site I'm hinting that you google and look at has instructions on curing remotes. In short, you find an area called config in Openelec or Libreelec and place alternative remote.conf files you'll have downloaded and reboot. if you have the right remote.conf, voila your remote works.

You do need to read what's been said beforeon the forum though BUT the first page has just about all you need to get started.

I'd part with one last comment. DO NOT GO DOWN THIS ROUTE if you don't think you need to spend any time understanding how kodi works. IMHO the "fully loaded" resellers dupe people into thinking that all they need to invest is their purchase price. Not so, there's so much more that ownership offers if you're prepared to dig a bit.

I could not of said that better myself good post sonsfdibnah

HI I am first timer and need advice. I have an MXQ box with S805 processor . The nox will not load past a make your life colorful .
    What do I do?

Cowboy

Try factory reset if not it may be a brick sorry to say