Notices

Thread: Has the OUYA a lot of life left in it.

1. #1 Has the OUYA a lot of life left in it. 
    For shear build quality the OUYA still rocks with Kodi 14.2.
    But don't forget to every few months do a CLEAN in stall of Kodi.

The problem with Ouya is the version of Android the Ouya OS is on. Many newer programs coming out dont support the Android version it is based on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wastate2014 For This Useful Post:

rockford (02-14-2016)

Maybe in the future someone might do fix if that is possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crackerjack1 For This Useful Post:

rockford (02-14-2016)

So I bought an Ouya a few months back for 10 bucks at a liquidator place. First off, the controller is horrendous! But was wondering if it's worth it to try and use this thing for Kodi or even other apps like Showbox, or MovieHD?

The Ouya works pretty well as a Kodi device. In order to make it work really well, you need to do a few tweaks and an advancedsettigns.xml is nearly a must have. Even then though, it suffers from some stability issues and is not all that powerful, especially if you run a lot of addons or like heavier skins.
    I just recently have been modding my Ouya with Cyanogenmod so I can upgrade to Jarvis and it's really been a learning experience. I would say that if you aren't comfortable with doing more advance mods to an android device, the Ouya is likely not for you at this point. Keep in mind though, that Ouya was just bought by Razer, so there is hope that the Ouya will receive official updates allowing the easy installation of newer Kodi versions.

Bottom line: If you are pretty tech savvy, the Ouya does live up to one of it's Kickstarter promises: the promise that it will be easily modified. If you know what you're doing, the Ouya is fairly easy to root, and once it's rooted, it's as easy to mod as anything else I've worked with. Really, it's a nice little Android playground to have fun with. Think of it like the Raspberry Pi of the Android world.
    It could turn out to be a big deal if you get one now cheap and Razer really puts stock into it, though. I wouldn't bank on it, but if Razer really gets behind it, the Ouya could have a very bright, if slightly unexpected future. If you are fairly tech savvy though, you could have an Ouya at very cheap prices and make it work for years to come. Not the best option out there, but for the cost it can be hard to beat.

I remember when ouya was the number one box out there. Now the shield seems to be that.
    I considered the cyanogen mod for my old ouya but then I have no place for it anymore, what would I do with my shields?
    I'll keep it as a memento kind of like a trophy, lol. In 20 years maybe I'll have it bronzed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NYIslanders For This Useful Post:

rockford (02-14-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dkplayaclub View Post
    The Ouya works pretty well as a Kodi device. In order to make it work really well, you need to do a few tweaks and an advancedsettigns.xml is nearly a must have. Even then though, it suffers from some stability issues and is not all that powerful, especially if you run a lot of addons or like heavier skins.
    I just recently have been modding my Ouya with Cyanogenmod so I can upgrade to Jarvis and it's really been a learning experience. I would say that if you aren't comfortable with doing more advance mods to an android device, the Ouya is likely not for you at this point. Keep in mind though, that Ouya was just bought by Razer, so there is hope that the Ouya will receive official updates allowing the easy installation of newer Kodi versions.

Bottom line: If you are pretty tech savvy, the Ouya does live up to one of it's Kickstarter promises: the promise that it will be easily modified. If you know what you're doing, the Ouya is fairly easy to root, and once it's rooted, it's as easy to mod as anything else I've worked with. Really, it's a nice little Android playground to have fun with. Think of it like the Raspberry Pi of the Android world.
    It could turn out to be a big deal if you get one now cheap and Razer really puts stock into it, though. I wouldn't bank on it, but if Razer really gets behind it, the Ouya could have a very bright, if slightly unexpected future. If you are fairly tech savvy though, you could have an Ouya at very cheap prices and make it work for years to come. Not the best option out there, but for the cost it can be hard to beat.

Would u care to link or offer any step by steps to mod this with cyanogen? Ive got an ouya and love the thing! Been running kodi for a long time and have a ton of repos on it and its one of the best decixes id say i have owned! Everything works on it!

If u could be kind enough to offer me any guidance id be very greatfull!

This ouya thread is one of the only reasons i joined this forum! I want my ouya to work for yrs to come!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
    Would u care to link or offer any step by steps to mod this with cyanogen? Ive got an ouya and love the thing! Been running kodi for a long time and have a ton of repos on it and its one of the best decixes id say i have owned! Everything works on it!

If u could be kind enough to offer me any guidance id be very greatfull!

This ouya thread is one of the only reasons i joined this forum! I want my ouya to work for yrs to come!

Thanks!
    here is the link to the ouya development at xda
    Ouya Android Development

modding is going to be the best way to keep this thing relevant as they are now defunct. Razor bought them out but the ouya box is dead. they made the purchase to get their tech and dev's but are putting it into their own razor box.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chinbone For This Useful Post:

J2048b (02-15-2016)

You can use showbox app on kodi, here: How to Install ShowBox Add On on Kodi - ShowBox is complete guide about how to use showbox add-on for kodi.