Notices
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is nvidia shield the best?

In my opinion its is the best box out there with regard to an incredibly powerful android TV box, but it has limitations to being as open as some of the other boxes. If your priority is Kodi and gaming , its the best by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntington81 View Post
    Hey I'm new to the forum and have been looking to buy a nvidia shield. Right now I am running kodi off of my galaxy tab S tablet, but have been looking into upgrading to an android box. So my question is.... is the nvidia shield the best? Thanks
    Without question, yes. I have had about 8 android OS boxes, and the Shield is by far the best, speed, stability, updates...

How about if I am simply interested in running Kodi and not game playing is the Shield that much better than the 2015 Fire TV? I know it has more RAM but for almost $100 more not sure it is worth the cost.

I am not opposed to spending the additional money, I would just like some input from others more knowledgeable and experienced before making the purchase.

Thanks for the help and great site!

i also would like to know about the extra cost for more ram?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ReLik View Post
    How about if I am simply interested in running Kodi and not game playing is the Shield that much better than the 2015 Fire TV? I know it has more RAM but for almost $100 more not sure it is worth the cost.

I am not opposed to spending the additional money, I would just like some input from others more knowledgeable and experienced before making the purchase.

Thanks for the help and great site!
    If you want something cheaper with flexibility try a Raspberry Pi.
    Under $100 with remote and runs Kodi flawlessly.

The problem I have with these set top boxes is long term support and compatibility.
    Boxes like the Boxee Box and WD TV Live comes to mind.
    I just ordered 2 Raspberry Pi's to expand my media center to other rooms in my house.

I just got the $200 Amazon bundle that included the Shield TV box, game controller, and Shield remote. This is a great value, since the remote is $50 alone.

I have an Amazon Fire TV box (not the stick, since I wanted an ethernet port and better specs, so when it came time to get a 2nd box, I moved the AFTV to the bedroom, and installed the Shield TV in the living room. 2 days later, I have Kodi v16.3 loaded on it, and all my favorite Shield TV apps (WWE, HBO Go, Spotify, Hulu, Netflix, etc). I LOVE THIS THING! One feature I love about the Shield TV is both the game controller and the Shield remote have a headphone port, so you can listen to the audio with headphones. This is great for when you don't want to disturb others with the TV volume. Another great feature is you can control the volume level with either the remote or gamepad.

What sets boxes like the AFTV and Shield TV apart from your cheap Android boxes, is the native app support. While these boxes are both running on Android under the hood, they each have apps that are optimized for a remote control. Since both boxes use a remote that are Bluetooth devices, there are no line of sight issues. Using a remote control is so much better than using an app, or external keyboard.

The only complaint I have about the Shield TV is the Shield Remote's lack of buttons, vs the AFTV remote, which has plenty. There are ways around the lack of buttons when using Kodi v16, which supports long press of buttons, and there are remapping add ons.
    Last edited by arb2261977; 02-07-2016 at 07:08 PM.

is there a hidden fan in it? i would prefer totally silent solution, having noisy fan inside is a total disaster no matter how silent it can be in beginning

There is a fan in it but you can't hear it unless you literally put your ear right on the top of the box.

I too would never ever have a box that imposes any noise whatsoever, it's my biggest pet peeve. The shield meets my criteria all the way when it comes to noise output level.

Yeah the shield is completely silent to me, even with nothing on. You would have to try to hear the fan, but would you want/need to?

As a new owner of a Shield, and having owned/used a fire stick, nexus player, and rpi the shield is head and shoulders above the rest. It's like comparing a sports car to a mid sized sedan. Now the others work fine, but the shield takes it another level. So if you are looking for functional, but not expensive you could go with something else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast