Notices

Thread: Tablet vs TV Box

1. #1 Tablet vs TV Box 
    I was looking to buy a Shield TV box (16gb) but the price just seems to be spiralling upwards at an alarming rate! Because of this I've been looking at the tablet version and was wondering if could anyone tell me if there are any drawbacks (major or otherwise) with choosing this option. I should point out that I will using it almost exclusively tto stream content through Kodi and live in the UK.
    Thanks in advance , fud23

I would stick with the shield tv but both are nice also remember if you buy the 16 gig model you can always add an external hard drive .The shield tv will be stable for many years to come

Quote Originally Posted by fud23 View Post
    I was looking to buy a Shield TV box (16gb) but the price just seems to be spiralling upwards at an alarming rate! Because of this I've been looking at the tablet version and was wondering if could anyone tell me if there are any drawbacks (major or otherwise) with choosing this option. I should point out that I will using it almost exclusively tto stream content through Kodi and live in the UK.
    Thanks in advance , fud23
    I would look into a Raspberry Pi-3

If your TV is name brand and has CEC your TV remote will work Kodi
    One HTPC with HDhomeRun on Comcast 3 tuners with MCEbuddy
    Two Raspberry Pi-1 and six Raspberry Pi-2's which work great with PTVL
    4 STB Vigica dvb-s2 FTA with 8' C-band and 3' ku band
    1 STB Vigica ATSC OTA
    Been at this since the first PC came out and before DOS 1.0 and OS2
    I have forgotten more then you KNOW !

I was using a cheap Windows 10 tablet (certified by Windows) for streaming Kodi. It worked well but occasionally the screen formatting would go all wonky and cut off half the picture. Didn't really seem to be an easy fix either, so I ended up picking up an MXQ Pro 4K box and haven't looked back! Works great for streaming content with Kodi, having problems with the Google Play store on it though so am having to sideload Kodi updates. Works, just a bit of a PITA. Thinking of a Shield but I'm kinda cheap

Quote Originally Posted by heavyrhino View Post
    I would stick with the shield tv but both are nice also remember if you buy the 16 gig model you can always add an external hard drive .The shield tv will be stable for many years to come
    I agree with heavy, The box comes with a lot more and is definitely worth every penny.

Go for shield box!