Notices
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloning FTV stick?

1. #1 Cloning FTV stick? 
    Is it possible to clone FTV stick?

It certainly is, I did a new Firestick for a friend this evening.
    I installed Kodi 16.1 on it then installed the latest Paradox Xmas build on it then I used ADBLink to make a backup of it to my computer then I restored that backup to my own Fire TV Box as I had not updated that for a while, I just uninstalled Kodi and installed a new 16.1 Kodi on it, I didn't really need to do that as by restoring the backup it would overwrite the original files.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sandra51 For This Useful Post:

Singidunum (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    I remembered last night that ADB has an option to backup files, before installing anything on it.
    Thank you sandra

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Singidunum For This Useful Post:

sandra51 (12-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by sandra51 View Post
    It certainly is, I did a new Firestick for a friend this evening.
    I installed Kodi 16.1 on it then installed the latest Paradox Xmas build on it then I used ADBLink to make a backup of it to my computer then I restored that backup to my own Fire TV Box as I had not updated that for a while, I just uninstalled Kodi and installed a new 16.1 Kodi on it, I didn't really need to do that as by restoring the backup it would overwrite the original files.
    Hi Sandra, I was thinking of trying that with ADB. I was going to get myself a fire stick 2nd gen and wanted to clone one of my sticks that I am really happy with how it is configured. So I just need make sure I have the latest BU of the one I like, then BU & then use restore to the new 2nd FS, after creating a new device (2nd gen FS) on ADB it does not matter that the BU I use has a different ip address than the new FS, as far as cloning via restoring?

Regards Gary

No, in fact unless you assigned a static IP you will always have a different IP address each time you add another device to your network..

Just make sure that you stop Kodi running before making a backup or restoring from a backup, just exiting it will not work so you may have to force close it.

If you see a status of "Offline" when clicking on Connect in ADBLink, try toggling ADB Debugging off / on in your Fire TV developer settings. If using FireStarter make sure Home detection via ADB is unchecked.

Those are the only problems I have come across when using ADBLink.

Thank you Sandra, yep, I just upgraded to ABDLink v2.07 and had to toggle the debugging button to get device online. Ok on doing a force stop, but why is that? I have done BU's before and never knew about force stopping Kodi. Is it because Kodi should be in a static position while doing these functions.

It will say something like it can not do it will Kodi is running, actually I think it says xbmc.org or something like that so just do the forcestop and it will connect.

Maybe it is like trying to rename or alter a file on a computer while it is open in another program as, especially for restoring a backup it is going to be over writing what is on the stick or box.

Oh OK, yes I remember seeing that when I took the ABD upgrade. Thank you, now I get it....

Sandra, after BU for FS is complete when using using ABDLink the green progression bar is still active, about 15mm long looks like it is running, have you ran in to this. BU went smooth though.

Have you got the new software update for your stick yet Gary ?

My Fire TV Box auto updated itself on Thursday evening and the new home screen looks good
    There is no longer a left hand side menu, instead you scroll left to right along the top of the screen.

I just tried my niece's first gen Fire Stick that I am waiting for her to collect but that is still on its old software and will not update when I click on check for updates.

I have seen somewhere that the first gen boxes and sticks will get their updates over the next couple of months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast